Friday, March 11, 2011

Like my Dad

I may look like my mother but the rest of me is all Dad. I wrote in my last blog about how fabulous my Mom is, and she really is. But the true hero of my life story would have to be my dad. The first thing I can say about my father is he is a fabulous father to me as an adult. He is someone I can call when I need to make a decision and he will listen and he will weigh options with me and then let me decide. I am sure it is hard at times to do it... even when he sees me making a stupid decision, like getting married too young. But he let me make my own decisions. He has always led by example to be hard working and taught us that nothing in life is just handed to you, you need to earn everything. I believe this is why my brother and I are bother very successful in our professional endeavours. He has always put Den and I first, even if it didn't seem like it at the time. My dad did what he had to in order to provide us with the best life he could. Sometimes that meant working 16 hour shifts with an hour plus commute each way. How hard it must have been to be in his twenties and deal with the hot mess that was my biological mother. I had a rough time with this as a young adult, but I totally get it now. Sometimes doing the right thing is not the easy thing. The easy thing would have been to just walk away completely. Instead he did the right thing and protected Den and I by removing us from a bad situation. How many men would do that? I think of all the guys I know and how they acted when they were in their late 20's...they really acted the same as they did when they were 16. But not my dad, my dad is a Man. A man who has put his family first.
I am very fortunate to have my fathers intelligence. I can only imagine what he could have done in life if he had not had to become a prison guard to provide for Den and I. He is one of the smartest men I know. I am often told how smart I am by other people. I am very "common sense" smart. Quick Witted like my dad. And my fabulous self esteem came from him too. To give an example of this. In response to my blog entry yesterday he says he is perfect 100% of the time. :o)
My dad was not always good at being affectionate when we were children but he was the kind of man who would drive hours in a snow storm on Christmas Eve to get me my first computer (a Commadore 64). And make sure that I had my world traveler cabbage patch kid from Spain. And that Den had his Voltron Toy that cost $80 just to have Den turn around and trade it for some garbage pail kids. So now after retiring from being a prison guard he is a big softy. I am grateful for my relationship with him. I miss him since he is NY and I am in NC, but we talk often. I can't wait for our daughter to meet her grandfather...aka PaPa to all the grand kids. He is a great grandfather.... the kind that plays with Taylor and her little miniature dogs and buys her chocolate. I look forward to the family trips that we will take up to NC so Papa can teach "Her" to fish like he has all the other grandchildren.
So in closing, my Pop Rocks.... Period!

1 comment:

  1. Following from Bloggy Moms!
    http://madeofsnails.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete