Monday, February 20, 2012

Keep Calm and Carry On


There is no use in sitting around any longer pouting... Leah is gone, she is not coming back and I need to just accept that. So, I am back into volunteer mode. I might as well be doing something positive with myself. 
So Tuesday night I am volunteering with the The Right Start- Parenting for Life Program through CHS. Which provides parenting skills, and education using the Nurturing Parent Program curriculum for parents with minimal or no family or financial support who are presently in foster care or will age out of care at 18, or who are already out of foster care. Services are designed to help provide a safe, stable, nurturing environment for their children and to help these parents regain or maintain custody.
I actually donated all of Leah's things to this same group. These girls do not have an support and no one besides this program to show them how to be good parents. I am hoping that I can be part of something that can change their lives and make a difference in their children's lives. 

Saturday, Kim, Nia and I are volunteering at Kid's Against Hunger  for my birthday. We will be packaging up hundreds of dehydrated meals to be sent to those who need it most. 

I have always had a heart for giving. And have been volunteering on and off for a while now. But this week as I sat in Sunday service Bruce again struck a chord. 
 The main passage this week was James 1:27 Pure and undefiled religion before God the Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their misfortune and to keep oneself unstained by the world.  One of the deep core values of being a Christian is speaking for those who can not speak for themselves. To care for those who can not care for themselves. Those who know me know that I am not one to throw my faith around and talk about what a great Christian I am. Lord knows, I am far from a role model. I cuss like a sailor and make mistakes, but I do try to live my life nobly. Key word is try. Like I mentioned earlier, I have volunteered a lot on and off lately. But when it was good for me.  What spoke to me most this week is giving even when it is not comfortable. When it is not easy. That is why I am choosing to volunteer with the Right Start program. There is a great need for positive people in these girls lives and this will be the most uncomfortable place for me to volunteer. With all of the troubles I have had with not being able to have a baby and then the situation with Leah falling apart, helping a group of teen moms will be the most out of my comfort zone as I can get. But it is what has presented itself to me today and I am going to take it on. 
Maybe I will fail miserably at it, but I am going to try.
Sitting around waiting for a family is not doing me any good, so I am going to try and help as many families get on track as I can. 

So with that being said, I am signing off for the night :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment